The Vision for PFM Reforms is derived from the principles of public finance, specifically Article 201 therein which aims at strengthening of public finance management systems in order to enhance effectiveness of the budget processes, to improve transparency and accountability and to ensure resources are used fairly to promote an equitable society.
The Mission of the Programme is to ‘Coordinate and harmonize the public financial management reforms to strengthen public finance management systems in order to enhance effectiveness of the budget processes, to improve transparency and accountability and to ensure resources are used fairly to promote an equitable society’.
Purpose, Scope and Objectives of the Reform Programme
The current Reform Programme, spelt out in 2013/18 PFM Reform Strategy, is overarching all PFM reforms in Kenya. The Programme Strategy takes into account other PFM sub-strategies (such as the IFMIS, KRA, KENAO strategic plans) and is based on a comprehensive thematic approach covering all aspects of PFM system including issues related to resource mobilization, budgeting, accounting and reporting, audit and oversight. It also addresses issues relating to inter-governmental fiscal relations and fiscal decentralization, PFM legal framework and the automation and integration of PFM systems. The comprehensive approach is strengthened by various funding mechanisms leading to improved sequencing and prioritization of reform interventions. The objectives of the Programme are as follows:
- To enhance the collection, accounting and reporting of public revenues in the National and County Governments in line with macroeconomic fiscal policies.
- To ensure participatory, effective and equitable allocation of public funds in line with National and County Government priorities.
- To ensure efficient and effective budget utilization, accurate and timely accounting and reporting and effective scrutiny and review of expenditure of public resources.’
- To ensure accountability of public resources, oversight, effectiveness and lawfulness in the collection and application of public funds.
- To establish and implement a framework for fiscal decentralization and to facilitate timely disbursements and efficient delivery of services in a transparent and accountable manner.
- To develop a consistent and harmonized PFM legal and institutional framework.
- To automate and integrate PFM systems which facilitate efficient and effective execution of all financial management processes, eliminate risks, enhance security and financial controls in all service areas including inter-connectivity of county units.
- To ensure efficient and effective coordination, planning, monitoring, communication and implementation of the PFM Reform Programme activities.